Root over rock
Age / growth cycle:
4 years old, in full fruit.
This numex twilight has been trained to grow over a rock, over the years it will look like its grabbing the rock as the roots thicken. Its happy to grow indoors on a sunny windowsill … but you will need to treat it with some artificial light during the winter so it carries on living to make it through to next season.
One of the most decorative chillies we’ve ever grown, although the guides we’ve had say they grow “multi colour” the only colours we’ve seen is a deep purple … but it looks amazing. The “Numex Twilight” produces an abundance of small, 2cm (¾”) upright peppers with a medium-hot flavour.
This compact variety works very well as a bonsai and is very striking as an ornamental edible that can be grown indoors, outdoors on the patio, or in the greenhouse for even heavier yields.
The plant is in full fruit (and consequently heavy) its currently wired into position until roots thicken enough to support the weight of the plant and fruit.
This is going to look great over the next few years, the non supportive roots are starting to prune themselves and the healthier, deeper, more established ones are starting to thicken.
Check out our “liquid & light, no brainer” grow kits, which I use to keep my plants going 365 if you want to keep your plant going with minimal effort.
As its been indoors its whole life, its been (regularly) manually pollinated.
Its planted a green ceramic bonsai pot with a matching drip tray and its in a mix of John Innes – as recommended and used by leading bonsai experts); Akadama ( Japanese soil ) – for free drainage,high air content, water retention; and kyodama – for superior water retention, great root development (and can also help keep slugs snails and root aphids away).
Please note that we do not recommend delivery of the plants we sell, ideally we’d prefer collection as they can be quite delicate. However, if delivery is selected, we will package it as follows (hence the cost):
1. We’ll tie the base (pot) down to a cardboard base which meets / near meets the size of the base of the box to try to prevent it from moving around – and then well take a picture of it.
2. We’ll Place the Plant in the bottom of the box – and then well take a picture of it.
3. We’ll fill the box with packing foam to try to support the plant as much as possible – and then well take a picture of it.
4. We’ll tape it up – and then well take a picture of it.
5. We’ll send it by recorded, tracked courier delivery and send you the tracking details (and all of the pictures we took).
We will not take any responsibility for damage caused during transit.